The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for building, enhancing and maintaining products and/or systems to enable Sage’s business plans and long term objectives using the identified architecture.
The Senior Software Engineer will assume ownership in the design, develop and delivery of high quality products and/or systems and services that exceed customers’ or business partners’ expectations and will proactively share their own knowledge for specific technical solutions and business processes in their area of responsibility.
• Possess and apply a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of software development to the completion of difficult assignments.
• Successful develop, delivery maintain high quality software (requirements, design, code, documentation, etc.)
• Work with product managers early on to shape product definition so that it can be built in flexible, extensible, and robust way
• Keep up to date with relevant technology areas.
• Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
• Evaluates progress and results and recommends major changes in procedures.
• Partner effectively with all team members to deliver against commitments
• Thought leader and deliver deep technical expertise for PD that drives colleague engagement, clarity and instils a culture of innovation and execution
• Work cross-functionally with various Sage teams: product management, QA/XD, various product lines, or business units to drive forward results
• Mentoring and coaching to junior members of the development team.
• Commitment to team success and positive team dynamics
• Passion for growing and applying technical skills in service to customers
• Extensive experience with Agile Development, SCRUM, and/or Extreme Programming methodologies
• Maintain relevant documentation to describe logic, coding/configuration, testing and changes where applicable.
• Ensure all tasks are completed to the required quality standards.
• Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools & techniques
• Provide 3rd tier support and/or expertise for the area of responsibility
• 5-8 years professional experience
• Technology expert in their field
• Complex problem-solving ability. Innovative and creative thinking
• Operates with considerable latitude for unreviewed action or decision
• Ability to interpret and/or gather user requirements and translate these into technical specifications and/or code
• Proficient with several relevant programming languages, frameworks and databases, e.g. VB6, C++, SVN, GitHub, Azure, Chef/Ruby, Powershell, DevOps, Visual Studio, MSSQL
• Be willing to adapt to significant changes in either technology or environment
• Experienced in operationalizing 21st Century trends like Cloud, Social, Mobility, IoT, Big Data
• Experienced implementing Architecture Best Practices and Patterns like Microservices, CQRS, Event Sourcing, Domain-Driven Design
• Proven experience in using a TDD approach
• Experienced working with Open Source projects and in an Open Source approach internally
• Proven Track record of creating API-first products
• Innovative and creative thinking
• Customer Focus
• Computer Science (or related degree/qualification)
• Contribution to open source software projects
• Real world application development experience
Sage is the market leader for integrated accounting, payroll and payment systems, supporting the ambition of the world’s entrepreneurs.
Like many of the businesses we serve, Sage began as a small business and has grown beyond what seemed imaginable. Today over 13000 colleagues now support millions of entrepreneurs across 23 countries as they power the global economy.
It is these entrepreneurs who are the drivers of prosperity and it’s our privilege and honour to serve them. We take real pride from how many of our customers have flourished and, that our products have grown with them as they moved from start-up to successful, international businesses.
In a world where only the voices of the biggest are heard, we will always fight to hear the voice of the entrepreneur.
An innovator today and tomorrow
Our smart people use the smartest technology to reinvent and simplify business accounting - working with a thriving community of entrepreneurs, business owners, tradespeople, accountants, partners and developers.
We enable our customers to focus on their business and help them to leapfrog to the future.
Inventing the future
We are changing the way that millions of businesses track the movement of money through their business. We are also changing the way we do business. And as a FTSE 100 business we believe in a socially-responsible world and we are active in supporting our local communities and invest in making a real difference through the philanthropy of the Sage Foundation. Our Sage Foundation is based on the 2+2+2 model - 2% of free cash flow, 2% of colleagues' time and up to 2 free products each year to charitable organizations. Colleagues are empowered to give to the causes that matter to them.
Our customers make life-sacrifices. They take risks to follow their dreams and pursue their passions and, on this, global prosperity is built. They deserve a bigger voice and we will always work hard to champion this noble cause.