Senior Assistant Company Secretary/Secretariat Manager - Interim/Fixed Term
An opportunity has arisen for a dynamic interim to join the Sage Secretariat. Reporting to the Deputy Company Secretary, this is a chance to help shape the Secretariat’s priorities, drive an outsource change project and support the Deputy during a period of maternity cover for the Company Secretary.
Following a period of intense business transformation at Sage, the Secretariat is key in developing and embedding new governance processes and providing a world-class support service to the Board, Committees and the global business. Projects will include regional corporate restructuring and the roll-out of a global compliance outsource. The role will include line management of the Assistant Company Secretary.
This role is for a fixed term of 9 months initially, followed by a review and the possibility of extension.
The successful candidate will be ICSA qualified with 5+ years’ experience and comfortable working in a fast-paced, matrix-management structure. This is a broad role with a large amount of stakeholder interaction required across all functions and levels of the organisation.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
Accountable for subsidiary entity compliance – primary focus on managing global outsource of overseas entities
· Together with the Assistant Company Secretary, ensure all Sage legal entities maintain a compliant status at all times
· Manage the work of Sage’s global outsource provider, acting as a liaison between the provider and Sage business stakeholders and addressing any service level issues in a timely manner.
· Become a trusted advisor for key stakeholders – act as a point of contact for compliance queries in particular from local Legal/Finance contacts.
· Oversee the accuracy of Blueprint Oneworld, support the Assistant Company Secretary with improvements to reporting and processes.
· Act as a second pair of eyes and quality assurance for work created by other Secretariat team members.
· Be responsible for delivering specific functional projects, such delegated signing authority and corporate simplification.
· Provide reporting on legal entity compliance as needed
· Monitor spend against budget, manage and escalate any variances to Deputy Company Secretary
Listed Plc –
· Deputise for senior Secretariat team members as and when required
· Support the delivery of the Board’s rolling agenda by assisting with the preparation of Legal & Secretariat Board papers, and providing research and advice on corporate governance best practice as needed.
· Maintain a good understanding of developments in corporate governance and listed plc market practice generally, and provide research and guidance as needed.
· Together with the Assistant Company Secretary, ensure that the Plc meets its day to day listing compliance requirements.
· Work closely with the Share Plan team on day to day administration involving the Employee Benefit Trust and maintain a forward-looking approach to the EBT’s activities.
· Day to day management of the Assistant Company Secretary including interim and full-year appraisals;
· Develop and support the Assistant Company Secretary in accordance with Sage Values & Behaviours
Skills, know-how and experience:
Experience of managing a global entity compliance outsource
Joining the dots - understand the impact of business requests and ensuring this is reflected in advice given and effective delivery of actions.
Communication - ability to clearly and concisely communicate with a range of stakeholders using appropriate styles and in a succinct and engaging manner.
Ability to proactively manage workload and often work autonomously
Confidence and personal credibility - establish relationships with a range of senior stakeholders to support delivery of constructive business outcomes.
Good working knowledge of Blueprint Oneworld
Experience in professional services in a multi-jurisdictional, client-facing role
Management of direct report(s)
Technical / professional qualifications:
ICSA qualified (ACIS 5+ years qualified)
Key performance indicators:
Secretariat elements of the Legal VSGM and personal goals and objectives based on: strong working relationship with key stakeholders, strong technical skills and ability to prioritise delivery of work to align with strategic objectives.
Direct reports: 1
Key stakeholders: GC/Company Secretary, Deputy Company Secretary, Legal VPs, Outsource provider(s), Regional Legal contacts, Group & regional Finance, Treasury, Tax colleagues, external auditors
Sage is the market leader for integrated accounting, payroll and payment systems, supporting the ambition of the world’s entrepreneurs.
Like many of the businesses we serve, Sage began as a small business and has grown beyond what seemed imaginable. Today over 13000 colleagues now support millions of entrepreneurs across 23 countries as they power the global economy.
It is these entrepreneurs who are the drivers of prosperity and it’s our privilege and honour to serve them. We take real pride from how many of our customers have flourished and, that our products have grown with them as they moved from start-up to successful, international businesses.
In a world where only the voices of the biggest are heard, we will always fight to hear the voice of the entrepreneur.
An innovator today and tomorrow
Our smart people use the smartest technology to reinvent and simplify business accounting - working with a thriving community of entrepreneurs, business owners, tradespeople, accountants, partners and developers.
We enable our customers to focus on their business and help them to leapfrog to the future.
Inventing the future
We are changing the way that millions of businesses track the movement of money through their business. We are also changing the way we do business. And as a FTSE 100 business we believe in a socially-responsible world and we are active in supporting our local communities and invest in making a real difference through the philanthropy of the Sage Foundation. Our Sage Foundation is based on the 2+2+2 model - 2% of free cash flow, 2% of colleagues' time and up to 2 free products each year to charitable organizations. Colleagues are empowered to give to the causes that matter to them.
Our customers make life-sacrifices. They take risks to follow their dreams and pursue their passions and, on this, global prosperity is built. They deserve a bigger voice and we will always work hard to champion this noble cause.