Senior Solicitor - Interim
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne or Winnersh (with occasional travel)
Job purpose: To provide senior commercial legal support to Sage’s UK and Irish businesses as part of the Northern Europe Commercial Legal Team. The Team provides advice in relation to all regional Sales initiatives including customer contracting and terms and conditions, commercial policy, customer disputes, data protection and assists the following regional teams: Sales, Field Marketing, Regional Partnerships and Alliances, Regional Services (Customer Services and Professional Services) and Regional Sales and Marketing Operations. The team also supports Regional Product Delivery and assists the local Procurement teams. The team also helps support wider Legal initiatives in country as required (i.e. Code of Conduct/data protection/anti-bribery training). An element of cross border work is included as part of wider legal team initiatives.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
· Provide appropriate best-in-class end-to-end legal commercial, regulatory and compliance advice, including data protection advice on customer, partner, accountant, marketing, product and procurement matters.
· Advise and negotiate on all commercial contracts across the operational side of the business, so that all contracts, projects and strategic business initiatives are appropriately negotiated to deliver maximum value whilst meeting all required commercial objectives and deadlines.
· Deliver high profile and strategic legal work and projects as required by the business.
· Provide pro-active support to other members of the legal team to assist in delivering services to the business.
· Provide commercial legal support to our Field Marketing teams to ensure our regional marketing materials planned for use are compliant and do not carry legal risk.
· Provide commercial legal support to our regional Product Delivery team, ensuring that product developments are appropriately covered, that OEM agreements are dealt with appropriately using team support and that an overview of the complete picture on Product third party relationships in region is retained and stored and shared with other legal teams as appropriate.
· Provide commercial legal support to our regional Partner and Alliances teams to negotiate and manage local partner contracts and relationships.
· Provide support on the standardisation of terms and conditions and contracting documents for customers, accountants and partners in region and across the Regional Legal Operations team.
· Develop strong relationships with key business stakeholders in the region including regional Sales, Field Marketing, Regional Partner & Alliance team, Regional Services, Regional Product Delivery and Procurement.
· Be able to interact with, influence, advise and support key contacts at all levels across the business, both within your area of expertise (junior team members) and across other relevant fields, to ensure close alignment between the Legal function and the business.
· Act as a key member of the Team, supporting the Northern Europe Legal Manager to develop and improve the Team and its delivery of legal services to the Northern Europe business.
Key performance indicators:
Delivery of all required legal deliverables to a high quality and on time.
Contribution to success of overall legal function in the region.
Commercially sound, legally accurate, solutions orientated, risk based, and appropriate legal advice is delivered on all matters.
Positive feedback from key legal and business stakeholders.
Close alignment with the Northern Europe Legal Manager and a co-ordinated, collaborative approach with other team members.
Trusted member of the legal team; a ‘safe pair of hands’ to deliver sound, high quality legal support; someone who steps up to help the Team.
None, although day to day supervision and mentoring of more junior members within the team is expected.
Northern Europe Legal Manager
Northern Europe Legal Team members
Northern Europe business stakeholders
· Significant commercial legal experience and a track record of delivering commercially sound legal advice to businesses.
· Positive, pro-active, ‘can-do’ attitude; solutions-orientated; execution focussed.
· Self-motivated; excellent organisation and time management skills.
· Lifelong learner; willingness to continually learn, develop and embrace change.
· Ability to manage a demanding workload according to competing business priorities; willingness to go the extra mile and do what is necessary to get the job done.
· Excellent attention to detail; capable of consistently producing high quality work under time pressure.
· Clear, open and transparent communicator.
· Excellent analytical and commercial legal skills and who can function at a senior level within the team unsupervised. Consistently high quality deliverables are a given.
· Excel at applying detailed legal knowledge to solve complicated commercial challenges; solutions orientated.
· Good knowledge of UK Data Protection Laws and a general understanding of other European Data Protection Laws.
· Capable of co-ordinating multi-territory legal support.
· Capable of both project managing and executing large legal projects unsupervised; senior stakeholder management.
· An ability to analyse legal and commercial issues and to provide clear explanations of legal matters with relevant commercial advice.
· Excellent at building trusted and strong working relationships; high level of integrity; ability to support and supervise junior members of staff irrespective of own workload.
· High level of integrity with a desire to do the right thing.
· Ability to embrace, cope with and manage change quickly, and be enthused and excited about what's around the corner for us, given our fast pace.
· Creativity coupled with an innovative thought process.
· Drive and determination to deliver outstanding results every time.
· A detailed understanding of commercial law is required. In-depth knowledge of other relevant legal disciplines (e.g. data protection; employment law) is also highly desirable.
· Extensive experience of working with businesses to solve their commercial challenges in an effective, practical way.
· An interest in technology is desirable.
Technical / professional qualifications:
Educated to degree level and a solicitor or similar professional legal qualification with at least 5-8 years PQE, although outstanding applicants with less experience are encouraged to apply.
Sage is the market leader for integrated accounting, payroll and payment systems, supporting the ambition of the world’s entrepreneurs.
Like many of the businesses we serve, Sage began as a small business and has grown beyond what seemed imaginable. Today over 13000 colleagues now support millions of entrepreneurs across 23 countries as they power the global economy.
It is these entrepreneurs who are the drivers of prosperity and it’s our privilege and honour to serve them. We take real pride from how many of our customers have flourished and, that our products have grown with them as they moved from start-up to successful, international businesses.
In a world where only the voices of the biggest are heard, we will always fight to hear the voice of the entrepreneur.
An innovator today and tomorrow
Our smart people use the smartest technology to reinvent and simplify business accounting - working with a thriving community of entrepreneurs, business owners, tradespeople, accountants, partners and developers.
We enable our customers to focus on their business and help them to leapfrog to the future.
Inventing the future
We are changing the way that millions of businesses track the movement of money through their business. We are also changing the way we do business. And as a FTSE 100 business we believe in a socially-responsible world and we are active in supporting our local communities and invest in making a real difference through the philanthropy of the Sage Foundation. Our Sage Foundation is based on the 2+2+2 model - 2% of free cash flow, 2% of colleagues' time and up to 2 free products each year to charitable organizations. Colleagues are empowered to give to the causes that matter to them.
Our customers make life-sacrifices. They take risks to follow their dreams and pursue their passions and, on this, global prosperity is built. They deserve a bigger voice and we will always work hard to champion this noble cause.